Canada: Work Opportunities for International Students

image of canadian flag

Many students, particularly those from underdeveloped nations, choose to study abroad in order to boost their employability and CV. However, studying in nations like Canada is expensive due to hefty tuition costs and a high cost of living. As a result, many international students choose to work part-time in order to cover their expenditures and avoid being out of pocket in a foreign country.
According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), a department of the Canadian government, overseas students in the country can work on or off-campus, or as a co-op student or intern, if they desire to supplement their income while studying.

Work On-campus

Working on campus is a great option for resident students with free time in between classes. The only things to think about are
You must be enrolled as a full-time student.

A valid research permit is required.
You have the option of working as a
Administrative personnel on a temporary basis
Clerks and shelves in libraries
Tutoring by peers
Assistants to residents
Assistants and coordinators
You should also keep a watch on employment boards and your university’s website for recruitment alerts, as some departments hire on an as-needed basis.

Work Off-campus

Off-campus work is another method to supplement your income. The requirement for a work permit has been reduced under the new laws, which took effect on June 1, 2014.

To be eligible, you must:

Possess a current study permit
You must be a full-time student.
Be enrolled in an academic, vocational, or professional training program that lasts at least six months and leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
Be enrolled in a post-secondary or, in Quebec, a secondary vocational program at a designated learning institution.
You are permitted if you meet the criteria.
During regular academic sessions, to work up to 20 hours each week
During specified breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break, work full-time.
Off-campus employment is available to international students.
Assisting other college students as a tutor
Waitress or bartender in a restaurant
Drivers of school buses or taxicabs
Receptionists and administrative helpers

Work as a co-op student or intern

Work experience is required for several academic programs. In such instances, overseas students may choose to participate in a co-op (cooperative education) or paid internship program with professionals in their major field of study. They will, however, need to apply for both a work permit and a study permit.

In order to qualify for a work permit, you must meet the following requirements

You must have a valid study permit

Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
Your employment must be a part of your academic, vocational, or professional training program, and must be certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study.
You won’t be eligible to work if you are studying with English or French as a second language

Working part-time while studying in Canada is a nice alternative, but it will be even better if you think about what kind of job will be best for you and then make your decision appropriately. As a result, your study abroad experience in Canada will be enhanced, and who knows, you might even enjoy your part-time work.


 Hello Study Abroad Life!

canadainternational studentspart-time workstudy abroadwork off-campuswork on-campus

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.